This multi-blade knife defined by it's quality construction and incredible utility would go on to define the Victorinox company and even the Swiss nation for the next century and beyond.
This original model with only small updates was issued for an incredible 50+ years until 1951, at which time a new design for the Soldier Knife was adopted. While the popular, and often defining, toothpick and tweezers were added later to most Victorinox knives, even to this day (2017) they have never been included in the army's official issue Soldier Knives.
- Large Blade
- Large Screwdriver
- Can-Opener - original design with no other tools
- Awl - no sharpened edge on Awl
None. While the popular toothpick and tweezers were added later to most models, they never were included in the army's official issue knives; presumably because they are too easily lost in the field.
- Knives produced after 1920 have the year of production is stamped on the Tang of the main blade as two digits (YY) (e.g. 50 for 1950).
- In 2009 as part of its Jubilee Anniversary Series, the 125 year old Victorinox released a limited edition replica of the original Soldier's Knife, known as the 125th Anniversary Heritage Swiss Army Knife (US Model# 51884, Victorinox AN: 0.1891.J). A total of 7536 Anniversary knives were produced, 1884 in each of four zones: zone I, Switzerland; zone II, Europe; zone III, the rest of the world (ubrige welt); and zone IV, USA and Canada. Each knife was stamped on the liner behind the awl with its particular number and zone; for example, 0569 / 1884 IV (the 569th knife of 1884 produced for zone IV). These numbers appear on the certificate of authenticity that accompanies the knife.
The original Swiss Soldier Knife was issued to Swiss troops beginning in 1891, and has continued every year to the present day.
The knife was redesigned in 1951 resulting in a lighter weight smaller 93mm Soldier's Knife with fiber scales (handles).
In 1961 the Soldier Knife was redesigned again resulting in a 93mm Alox Scaled Soldier knife which was issued to troops through the year 2008.
- 200 Victoria: model number for the Fiber handled Soldier's knife
- 200 inox Victoria: model number for the Fiber handled stainless steel Soldier's knife.
- 51884 US Model: 125th Anniversary Replica - Limited Edition
- 0.1891.J Victorinox AN: 125th Anniversary Replica - Limited Edition
- Officer's Knife - the 'second' knife, released in 1897 and not a moment too soon.
- Soldier 1951 Design - 93mm Fiber Handled Knife with bolsters.
- Soldier 1961 Design - 93mm Alox scaled Soldier's Knife, 1961 design.
- Soldier 2008 Design - 111mm synthetic scaled Soldier's Knife, with saw and locking blade.
- Standard Issue - The Wenger manufactured Soldier Knife (Soldat) from almost the same time-period, built to the same military specifications.