It comes in standard red Cellidor scales that are adorned with a metal inlay of a fish.
The current version contains the pliers, however the original version had scissors - See History.
The Angler Plus adds a wood saw to the Angler and was a less common model.
An earlier five-layer variant also exists, adding the metal file/saw to the base toolset.
These models/variants are no longer available.
- Large blade
- Small blade
- Fish scaler / Fish hook disgorger / Ruler
- Pliers with wire crimper and cutter
- Bottle-opener with large screwdriver & wire stripper
- Can-opener with small screwdriver tip
The original configuration of the Angler replaced the pliers with:
- Scissors - Some versions of the scissors had a notch for splitting lead shot - see image below/right
Current versions have the standard red synthetic scales. Some early versions had blue scales and are highly collectible
- The Angler Plus (probably not an official name) adds a wood saw
- An early version of the Angler adds the metal file/saw - See this SABI catlogue page and image right.
* SABI = Swiss Army Brands Incorporated - The former importer and distributor for Victorinox in the USA.
The original Fisherman model was available with a corkscrew or a back-side Phillips. The corkscrew variation later became known as the Angler (featuring scissors), in the early 1970s. Please also see the Fisherman page for more information on the evolution of these fish-scaler models.
This original Angler configuration was still in place in the early 1990s, several years after the introduction of the pliers with the SwissChamp in 1986. In the 1992-1994 time frame, Victorinox also made a version of the Angler called the Angler with Pliers. This knife included the pliers, as well as the scissors, implying that when this tool was made, the 'scissors' Angler configuration was still in production and the pliers were the add-on tool. This dual configuration is now usually known as the Deluxe Angler or Angler with Scissors.
The modern Angler configuration/naming with pliers as standard was introduced later.
- Length: 91mm
- Width: 20.8mm (Original 19.5mm)
- Weight: 112.5g (Original 102g)
- 1.3653.72: Red Cellidor scales with fish emblem (US Model Number: 53671)
- 1.3733.72: Angler Original with scissors and hook instead of pliers, red Cellidor scales with fish emblem
- 5001 - Older US SABI Number: Red Cellidor, fish emblem, scissors not pliers
- Fisherman - Replaces the pliers with scissors, corkscrew with a back-side Phillips, and adds the multipurpose hook
- Mechanic - Removes the fishscaler/ruler, a Phillips replaces the corkscrew
- Deluxe Angler - Adds scissors, multipurpose hook
- Bass - A similar model made by Wenger
- MultiTool.org thread on the original vintage Angler model