Name Disambiguation: This model was originally named the Craftsman , and numbered 136ka, before the Craftsman name was reused for the 91mm six-layer model circa 1973-6. See History below.
- Large knife blade
- Small knife blade
- Wood saw
- Cap-lifter with large screwdriver
- Can-opener with small screwdriver
- The saw and scissors layers can switch positions in the knife. - The scissors layer has switched positions on other models as well over time.
- Phillips screwdrivers vary depending on the era of manufacturing. File, double cut file, smooth and can key versions have been documented.
- Versions with the three different older single-leaf scissor spring, are also known.
The name Artisan has appeared stamped on the knife box, indicating it was the proper name used in some markets. A 1976 US Distributor Catalog reference was found for this model with the name Artisan, this name also appears in a 1980 Canadian Distributor's catalog from SMICO, but not for the identical model (which could be just a common catalog error).
Tool specifics for one sample: Small clip-point; scissors with screw-pivot and double leaf-spring; square Phillips with can-key.
Reported tang stamp - Obverse: VICTORINOX|SWITZERLAND|STAINLESS|ROSTFREI Reverse: OFFICIER|SUISSE| + crossbow .
Historically the naming of the different Swiss Army Knives has been inconsistent, since initially Victorinox itself did not give them names.
It seems like the various importers named the different models to make it easier for sales and marketing. At one time the Craftsman name was applied to the equivalent model in the 91mm size, even though today we use the name Fieldmaster. Several references report the use of the Craftsman name for this smaller model as well. Additionally, at least one example of a early 1950s knife was located in the appropriate box for the period with the name Craftsman, Tang Stamps: Armee Suisse / VICTORIA; Can-opener with US PAT PEND. - see image above/right.
Name references are also often incorrect as dealers and distributors themselves make errors, given all the different models and their similarities.
- Length: 84mm
- Width: 19.8mm
- Weight: 89.15g