This model was previously named the Backpacker, and was earlier marketed in the US as the President. It was also previously known as the Traveller in a no-keyring variation.
- Large Knife Blade
- Small Knife Blade
- Cap-Lifter/slotted screw-driver - with wire-bender
- Can Opener/small-slotted screw-driver - that also works with Phillips screws
The Climber is available with red, black, ruby, sapphire, shadow grass camouflage, and new breakup camouflage Cellidor scales.
It is the only 91mm knife with nylon StayGlow scales available to the North American market (although many other models have StayGlow scales put on as a modification). - In 2009 Victorinox started to produce a version of the StayGlow scales with the addition of the BSA (Boy Scouts of America) logo.
- This is a very popular knife and is offered (or has been offered) with a number of different scale (handle) options.
- A 91mm version was also offered with the Long Nail-File on the back where the hook is now. See image below.
- The version with StayGlow (glow in the dark) scales is currently the only 91mm sized model with these special scales officially sold in North America. The StayGlow scales are also available with the BSA (Boy Scouts of America) emblem.
- 1991 Centennial 1891-1991 Climber Limited Edition with serial number on liner. Model SABI 5711 has a blade etching 'A Century of Craftsmanship', and is packaged in a special grey hinged presentation box and custom outer box. Limited to 5000 knives.
- In 2004 the luxury goods, and optical equipment manufacturer Swarovski produced a Climber with custom scales. See image below and link.
- A beautiful Beijing Opera version was released (- in the late 2000s??)
- In 2009 Victorinox released a limited edition Jubilee Edition Climber (see image in top panel) as part of the Jubilee Series that marked its 125th Anniversary. The Jubilee edition has special anniversary scales , as well as a second anniversary logo etched on the main blade.
- In 2010 Victorinox released a limited Road Tour edition featuring new black 'SoftTouch' scales and the special 'Road Tour' logo (with a motto 'Your Companion for Life on the Road' ) etched on the main blade. This was sold in special Road Tour box packaging. See image above.
- In 2011 Victorinox released a limited edition Damascus Climber, its second Damascus series model, featuring a stainless Damascus steel blade and ebony wood handles with an inlaid stainless-steel Victorinox shield. Each knife was stamped with the year 2011 and an individual serial number on the liner behind the corkscrew. No toothpick or tweezers were included. The knife was packaged in a special display box, and total production was limited to 4000 pieces worldwide. Model: 1.3701.J11; Weight: 87g; Width: 17.4mm
- In 2016 to celebrate the Rio Olympics Games 2016 Victorinox released a Gold Climber Limited Edition 2016 (1.3703.T88) featuring a 24-carat gold plated scales. The knife is packaged in a special display box, and total production is limited to 20000 pieces worldwide.
- In 2016, 2018 and 2019, to celebrate Christmas, knives "White Christmas" and "Make a wish" were released.
A Swiss Army Knife with this tool configuration, or very similar, was available for a long time before names were used for models. This model was originally named the 'Backpacker' in some regions. Early vintage versions have a clip-point small blade.
Prior to 1991, the Climber did not come with a multipurpose hook. Many other historical tool changes also apply to the Climber such as the switch from scissors with a screw to scissors with a rivet, and from a grooved corkscrew to a smooth corkscrew.
The earlier Traveller model (1.3702/54591), was likely introduced in the late 1970s and was the progenitor of the modern Climber (early 1980s?). However, unlike the current Climber, it did not have the keyring attachment, and at that time no knives had the multipurpose hook. It was unavailable in North America after the mid 1980s, however the keyring/no-keyring variations are often available in other markets and can appear off-and-on, if a larger order is requested by a reseller or distributor.
This older Traveller should not be confused with the digital Traveller 2006 which is quite a different model.
- Length: 91mm
- Width: 17mm - StayGlow scales model
- Weight: 82.5g - StayGlow scales model
- Weight: 83.2g - Cellidor without hook or long-nailfile, grooved corkscrew. circa. 1986
- Weight: 82.7g - Cellidor model with long nail file
- 1.3702: Original 1970 Traveller - The Climber with no keyring.
- 1.3703: Red Cellidor scales
- 1.3703.3: Black Cellidor scales
- 1.3703.E15: Beijing Opera Mask
- 1.3703.J09: 125th Anniversary Jubilee Limited Edition
- 1.3703.J09U: 125th Anniversary Jubilee Limited Edition (significance of trailing 'U' designator?)
- 1.3703.T77: White Christmas (White Xmas) 2016
- 1.3703.T88: Gold Limited Edition 2016
- 1.3704.3E1: Make a Wish Limited Edition 2016
- 1.3704.63E1: All You Wish For Special Edition 2019 with European walnut wood scales
- 1.3704.7E1: Make a Wish Limited Edition 2018
- 1.3704.L10: RT (Road Tour) Black - Soft Touch
- 1.3722: Red Cellidor scales with Long Nail File
- 3.3703: Ecoline red nylon scales
- 3.3703.808: StayGlow scales
- 3.3703.MIG: Red Cellidor with Swiss flags
- 3.3703.3LTD: Black with gold Victorinox logo pattern scales, introduced in 2010
- 6040-03460-9999-1: Special Edition for Mammut company, black Cellidor scales with Mammut logo; a nail file on the hook
US Model Numbers:
- 5711: 1891-1991 Centennial - Red Cellidor (US SABI number)
- 54591: Original 1970 Traveller Climber with no keyring.
- 53381: Red
- 53383: Black
- 53384: Black - Soft Touch
- 53385: Ruby
- 53386: Sapphire
- 53388: StayGlow
- 53389: StayGlow BSA
- 53495: Shadow Grass Camo
- 53496: Camouflage New Breakup
- 54388: Matterhorn Ruby
- 54754: Silver Tech
- 54992: Climber II / Eurosport model with matte finished scales
- Climber Small - Smaller 84mm model with the same toolset
- Deluxe Climber - Adds Pliers
- Spartan - No scissors, or hook
- Super Tinker - Replaces the corkscrew with a Phillips screwdriver
- Altimeter - Adds digital altimeter, mini-screwdriver
- Voyager - Adds Plus-Scales and electronic timer features to scales
- 'New' Traveller - Adds the 'electronic' scales that contain all the removable scale tools, and all the digital scale electronic functions
- Huntsman - Adds a wood saw
- Compact - Similar functions, one layer thinner. Small blade, can opener, cap lifter and awl are replaced by a combo tool - Adds 'plus' scales and a nail file on the hook
- Traveler - similar model by Wenger.