The Tools of the Swiss Army Knife
For a Swiss Army Knife, the term Tools refers to the various implements contained within the knife, that perform different functions or jobs. Victorinox and Wenger Swiss Army Knives have a lot of tools in common and each manufacturer also has their own unique tools.
The available (or once available) assortment of tools are listed in the sections below, by their primary name. They are grouped by the designation layer, or scale, based on where they are placed, then by manufacturer, then alphabetically. There is also a note if the tool has some unique property (eg backspring tool or uniqueness to a frame size). In some rare cases a tool might be found in a layer on some models, but in the scales of others. Specific information about each tool is in its own individual page, along with information related to any additional tools/functions within the same implement.
Since Victorinox and Wenger SAKS merged in 2014, Victorinox has taken on some of the Wenger tools in the Delémont models. See section below. The tools in this page are listed according to their original manufacturer.
- Layer Tools
- Scale Tool Details
- SwissChamp SOS Kits
- SwissCard Tool Details
- The Delémont Range
- Other Tool Information
- Tool to Model References
- Tool Instruction Leaflets and Visual Tool Guides
- Tool Image Galleries
- External Resources
This section contains the tools that are common to both manufacturers, for the front and back layers.
A tool is regarded as a common tool if its function, as opposed to its design, is the same! These tools fall broadly into two categories: Tools that are very similar between the two manufacturers: such as the main blade, corkscrew, caplifter/screwdriver; and tools where each manufacturer has their own take, or design, of that particular tool: such as the scissors, or pliers. Both categories are listed in this section - The individual tool pages describe the differences between the designs.
- Awl - See: Reamer
- Blades - Knife blades come in many shapes and sizes.
- Bottle-opener - also known as the cap-lifter
- Cigar cutter
- Combo Tool
- Corkscrew - Backspring tool
- Divot repair tool
- File - Steel - See: Saw-metal
- Fish-scaler – may include a ruler
- Magnifying glass
- Marlinspike - See also: Shackle-opener
- Nail-file - Long - Backspring tool
- Saw - Metal - Includes a metal file
- Saw - Wood
- Fine -Technician - A straight-edge layer tool.
- Phillips - Backspring
- Phillips - Inline
- Straight - Large - combined with the cap-lifter
- Straight - SIG - for SIG rifle dis-assembly
- Shackle-opener - Includes a marlinspike.
- SIG 500 - also known as Stgw 90 and FASS 90, - assault rifle Sight Adjustment Tool
- Watch case opener
- Watch spring-release tool - Variation on the Wenger magnifying glass and the Victorinox nail-file
Tools Unique to Victorinox
This section lists the general purpose tools that are unique to Victorinox
- Butane lighter
- Chisel - Backspring tool
- Corkscrew lever tool - 130mm Wine Master model only
- Cut-and-picker blade - with scraper
- Cuticle-pusher - 58mm tool only
- Glass saw - 111mm Rescue Tool only
- Hoof Cleaner - 111mm tool only
- Hook - Backspring tool
- LED Light - LED Light included as a layer tool.
- Orange Peeler - with screwdriver tip - 74mm tool only
- Pharmaceutical spatula
- Ruler - 91mm - See: Fish-scaler
- Ruler-Screwdriver - 58mm - See: Screwdrivers: Straight with ruler
- Sacking needle
- Fine - This is the straight-edge back spring screwdriver.
- Mini - Removable straight-edge eye-glass sized screwdriver stored in the corkscrew.
- Straight - Small - combined with the can-opener, also works with Phillips screws
- Straight with ruler - For the 58mm
- USB Flash-drive - (a.k.a. USB thumb-drive)
- Watch strap change tool - (a.k.a push pin tool)
- Weld seam testing tool - 111mm Leister Welding Seam Tester only
- Window-breaker - 111mm Rescue Tool only
General Purpose Tools Unique to Wenger
This section lists the general purpose tools that are unique to Wenger.
- Fingernail clipper
- Pliers - Fold-out
- Micro-screwdriver - On some 65mm models
- Flat Phillips - Takes the place of the nail-file on some 85mm models
- Torx T10 driver - A rare tool only available on the Compiuter Whiz model
- Precision screwdriver - On the end of the magnifying glass
- Universal Wrench - A wrench/spanner that will fit various small sized nuts/bolts
- Whistle - Victorinox has a scale version
Specialist Tools Unique to Wenger
Wenger made several very unique and interesting tools, aimed at specific sports or professions, that are listed in this section. These tools were in specialist Swiss Army Knives such as the Swissrider series, or the Minathor, and several other specialist models.
- Alinghi Rescue Tool - For maritime use
- Chain-rivet-setter - For bike chains
- Choke-tube tool - For gun maintenance
- Cleat wrench - For soccer/rugby studs
- Club-face cleaner - For golf clubs
- Laser pointer - Victorinox has a version mounted in the scales
- Compass - See: Orienteering tool
- File: Fishhook - ceramic/diamond-coated
- Mountaineering Combo Tool - Partially serrated blade, hex wrenches, 14mm screwdriver
- Orienteering Tool - WIth compass, ruler and romer
- Orthodontic tools - To adjust braces - WIP - link to Swiss Army Knights
- Reed maintainer- For woodwind instruments
- Screwdriver No. 0 - Includes file; Minathor exclusive
- Seam-ripper - On the Bernina Mini Spot Light - 65mm SAK
- Sewing-machine tools- For the Bernina sewing machine
- Shoe spike-wrench - For golf spikes
- Ski-wax scraper
- SGT micro-tool case with tools
- SGT Shortix micro-tool holder
- Telescopic pointer
- Toilet-paper dispenser key - For janitors - WIP - link to Swiss Army Knights
- Tool Holder (Swiss Rider) – WIP
- Tread-depth gauge
- Watchmaker toolkit - Includes tool handle.
- Wrench – Removable 10mm hex box bike-wrench: Spoke wrench; screwdriver/tire-lever
- Wrench – Removable L-wrench with 4mm hex key and Phillips (Swiss Rider) – WIP
- Wrench – Removable 10mm Hex-wrench (Swiss Rider) – WIP
Scale Tool Details
- LED mini-light - Victorinox often identifies models with this tool as 'Lite' versions.
- Altimeter - Includes a thermometer
- Bluetooth controller
- Clock - analogue
- Clock - digital - Includes alarm and timer functions
- Straight pin
- Whistle - Wenger has a layer version.
SwissChamp SOS Kits
The Victorinox SwissChamp was available in various special expanded pouches containing additional survival tools and equipment such as a compass, plasters (band-aids) and string. They were known as the SwissChamp SOS Kits or Survival Kits.
The SOS kits came in two sizes large and small:
For full SOS kit details see here.
SwissCard Tool Details
Victorinox supplied several Swiss Army Knife tools packaged in a credit card sized frame.
Full details of models available see - here.
- EKG caliper and ruler
- Knife Blade (aka letter-opener)
- Magnifying glass
- Nail-file - Regular SwissCard nail-file with a screwdriver tip
- Nail File - Glass nail-file from the Nailcare SwissCard
- Screwdriver - Quattro
- Visor Clip
The Delémont Range
In 2005 Victorinox took over Wenger. However they ran the two companies completely independently with separate product lines for several years.
In 2012 Victorinox announced that they would cease production of Wenger Swiss Army Knives and from 2014 only Victorinox branded knives were produced. However Victorinox decided to continue manufacturing of some of the former 65mm, 85mm and 130mm Wenger models under the Victorinox 'Delémont brand.
See the hyperlinks and Delémont section of this Wiki for more details.
Most of the tools in the Delémont range stayed the same as the Wenger originals, however the following Wenger tools were replaced by their Victorinox counterparts and the Wenger versions completely retired.
Other Tool Information
- Victorinox Blade Steel See: Article: Technical Specifications
Tool to Model References
The Wiki pages below indicate in which models the various tools are featured
- Tool to Model Matrix for 111mm Liner-lock Models
- Tool to Model Matrix for original 111mm Slide-lock Models - Some now liner-locking models
- 84/91 Tool to Model Lists - Information also in selected individual tool pages
- 91mm Layer Tables - See table at bottom of page - eg Three Layer Page
- Family Trees and Posters - See images at the botom of the size alpha pages - eg 91mm Page
Tool Instruction Leaflets and Visual Tool Guides
Victorinox Tool Instruction Leaflet Gallery/Folder
- MiniChamp / 58mm Tool Guide
- Visual Tool Guide - circa 2000
- Visual Tool Guide - circa 1995 - Swiss Army Brands printing
- Tool Usage Illustrations
- Tool Usage Illustrations (Japanese)
Wenger Tool Instruction Leaflet Gallery/Folder
- Visual Tool Guide 120mm circa. 2010
- Visual Tool Guide 85mm circa. 2010
- Visual Tool Guide circa. 2005-2006
- Visual Tool Guide circa. 1991
Tool Image Galleries
- 58mm Tool Images
- 74mm Tool Images
- 84mm Tool Images
- 91mm Tool Images
- 93mm Tool Images
- 100mm Tool Images
- 108mm Tool Images
- 111mm Tool Images
- SwissCard Tool Images
- SAAM'S: 91mm Tool Evolution
- Broken Link – May fix later - SAK Evolution from Victorinox: SAK Evolution