The special watch-case opener blade is used to open the back of watches that use a snap-back, or pressure fit, case.
These special-purpose knives are usually made for jewelry and watch companies and include company advertising on the scales. They are still available new from various watch repair and supply companies.
The size and shape of the watch-case opener blade has varied.
- The Watch Case Opener SAK usually comes in various smooth, colored Alox scales, imprinted with company names/brands and colours to match.
- Stainless Steel scales have been manufactured, also usually engraved with company names.
- This tool has also been available with Cellidor or Nylon scales in different colors
The Cellidor/Nylon versions are also available in the Cadet style frame, and usually come with toothpick and tweezers.
There are many of these knives with the Victoria tang stamp on the back of the main blades indicating Victorinox has been producing these knives for many decades.
- 2.2102 Victorinox Model: regular 84mm frame, nylon scales
- Secretary - Replaces watch-case opener blade with a small pen-blade
- SwissChamp XAVT - Includes the watch-case opener blade