The Tools of the Swiss Army Knife
|This page contains information about Victorinox and Wenger tools - for all frame sizes. |
For a Swiss Army Knife, the term 'Tools' refers to the various implements contained within the knife that perform different functions or jobs. Victorinox and Wenger Swiss Army Knives have a lot of tools in common. Each manufacturer also has their own unique tools. These are all described in the sections below.
The available (or once available) assortment of tools listed below are grouped by the designation Layer, or Scale, based on where they are placed in the knife, and by Manufacturer. There is also a note if the tool has some unique property (eg backspring tool or uniqueness to a frame size). In some rare cases a tool might be found in a layer on some knives, but in the scales of others.
Note: Since Victorinox and Wenger SAKS merged in 2014, Victorinox has taken on some of the Wenger tools in the 'Delémont' line. The tools in this page are listed according to their original manufacturer.
The tools are listed alphabetically by their primary name. For example, the Cap Lifter with screwdriver and wire stripper is listed as Cap Lifter (the manufacture's name), however in some countries it is often referred to as the Bottle Opener or just the Large Screwdriver !
Specific information about each tool is on its own individual page, along with information related to any additional tools/functions within the same implement.
This section contains the tools that are common to both manufacturers, for the front and back layers. A tool is regarded as a 'common tool' if its function, as opposed to its design, is the same!
These tools fall broadly into two categories: Tools that are very similar between the two manufacturers: such as the main blade, corkscrew, caplifter/screwdriver; and tools where each manufacturer has their own take, or design of that particular tool: such as the scissors or pliers.
Both categories are listed in this section - The individual tool pages describe the differences between the designs.
- Awl - see: Reamer
- Blades - Knife blades come in many shapes and sizes.
- Can Opener
- Cap Lifter
- Cigar Cutter
- Combo Tool
- Corkscrew - Backspring tool
- Divot Repair Tool
- File - Steel see: Saw-metal
- Fish Scaler – may include a ruler
- Magnifying Glass
- Marlinspike - see also: Shackle Opener
- Nail File
- Nail File-Long - Backspring tool
- Reamer - Backspring tool
- Saw-metal - Includes a Metal File
- Shackle Opener - Includes a Marlinspike.
- Watch Case Opener
Tools Unique to Victorinox
This section lists the general purpose tools that are unique to Victorinox
- Bit Driver
- Butane Lighter
- Chisel - Backspring tool
- Cut and Picker Blade - with scraper
- Cuticle Pusher - 58mm tool only
- Hoof Cleaner - 111mm tool only
- Hook - Backspring tool
- LED Light - LED Light included as a layer tool.
- Orange Peeler - with screwdriver tip - 74mm tool only
- Pharmaceutical Spatula
- Ruler - 91mm see: Fish Scaler
- Ruler-Screwdriver - 58mm see: Screwdrivers: Straight with Ruler
- Sacking Needle
- Saw-disc - 111mm Rescue Tool only
- USB Flash Drive - (a.k.a. USB Thumb Drive)
- Window-Breaker - 111mm Rescue Tool only
General Purpose Tools Unique to Wenger
This section lists the general purpose tools that are unique to Wenger.
- Carabiner Clip
- Fingernail Clipper
- Pliers - Fold-out
- Universal Wrench
- Whistle - Victorinox has scale version.
Specialist Tools Unique to Wenger
Wenger made several very unique and interesting tools that were aimed at specific sports or professions. These tools were in Swiss Army Knives such as the Swissrider series or the Minathor. This section lists those tools.
- Chain Rivet Setter - For bike chains
- Choke Tube Tool - For gun maintenance
- Cleat Wrench - For soccer/rugby studs
- Club Face Cleaner - For golf clubs
- Laser Pointer - Victorinox has a version mounted in the scales
- Compass - see: Orienteering Tool
- File - Fishhook Ceramic/Diamond Coated
- Mountaineering Combo Tool - Partially serrated blade, hex wrenches, 14mm screwdriver
- Orienteering Tool
- Orthodontic Tools - To adjust braces - WIP - link to Swiss Army Knights
- Reed Maintainer- For woodwind instruments
- Screwdriver No. 0 - Includes file; Minathor exclusive
- Seam Ripper - On the Bernina Mini Spot Light - 65mm SAK
- Sewing Machine Tools- For the Bernina sewing machine
- Shoe Spike Wrench - For golf spikes
- Ski Wax Scraper
- SGT Micro-tool Case w/tools
- SGT Shortix Micro Tool Holder
- SIG Sight Adjustment Tool WIP
- Telescopic Pointer
- Toilet Paper Dispenser Key - For janitors - WIP - link to Swiss Army Knights
- Tool Holder (Swiss Rider) – WIP
- Tread Depth Gauge
- Watchmaker Toolkit - Includes tool handle.
- Wrench – Removable Bike wrench 10mm Hex box-wrench, spoke wrench, screwdriver/tire-lever – WIP
- Wrench – Removable L-wrench with 4mm hex key and Phillips (Swiss Rider) – WIP
- Wrench – Removable 10mm Hex-wrench (Swiss Rider) – WIP
Scale Tool Details
- Ball Marker
- LED-MiniLight - Victorinox often identifies models with this tool as 'Lite' versions.
- Money Clip
- Altimeter - Includes a Thermometer.
- Barometer - Includes Altimeter, and digital clock.
- Bluetooth Controller
- Clock-Digital - Includes Alarm and Timer functions.
- Straight Pin
- Watch - Analog Timepiece
- Whistle - Wenger has a layer version.
The Delémont Range
In 2005 Victorinox took over Wenger. However they ran the two companies completely independently with separate product lines for several years. In 2012 Victorinox announced that they would cease production of Wenger Swiss Army Knives and from 2014 only Victorinox branded knives were produced. However Victorinox decided to continue manufacturing of some of the former Wenger knives under the Victorinox 'Delémont' brand. (See the Delémont section of this Wiki for more details).
Most of the tools in the Delémont range stayed the same as the Wenger originals, however the following Wenger tools were replaced by their Victorinox counterparts and the Wenger versions completely retired.
General Tool Information
- Victorinox Blade Steel see: Article: Technical Specifications
SwissCard Tool Details
- EKG Caliper
- EKG Ruler
- Knife Blade (aka Letter Opener)
- Magnifying Glass
- Money Clip
- Nail File - Regular SwissCard nail file with screwdriver tip
- Nail File - Glass nail file from the Nailcare SwissCard
- Screwdriver - Quattro
- Visor Clip
Visual Tool Guides
- MiniChamp / 58mm Tool Guide
- Visual Tool Guide - circa 2000
- Visual Tool Guide - circa 1995 Swiss Army Brands printing
- Tool Usage Illustrations
- Tool Usage Illustrations (Japanese)
- Visual Tool Guide 120mm circa. 2010
- Visual Tool Guide 85mm circa. 2010
- Visual Tool Guide circa. 2005-2006
- Visual Tool Guide circa. 1991
Tool Image Galleries
- 58mm Tool Images
- 74mm Tool Images
- 84mm Tool Images
- 91mm Tool Images
- 93mm Tool Images
- 100mm Tool Images
- 108mm Tool Images
- 111mm Tool Images