It was also available with a one-handed (OH) opening main blade, known as the One Handed Fireman (OHF). The liner-lock Fireman was previously a slide-locking model. Both versions are shown in the picture right.
Name disambiguation: There is a rare 108mm model also known as the Fireman.
The 111mm Fireman is retired
- Large blade that is Liner-locking
- Emergency belt cutter blade – With a safety tip
- Wood saw
- Cap Lifter - Liner-locking
- Can opener
The original model had a slide-locking main blade, and the cap-lifter was not locking.
Available with red or black nylon scales.
Victorinox 111mm models were usually available in red for the slide-lock models and black for the liner-lock models.
The Fireman ‘flipped the norm’, with the slide-lock model being available in black and the liner-lock model being available in red!
- One-Handed (OH) Fireman. This version has a liner-locking blade with a serrated edge that can be opened with one hand. The OH Fireman was only available with black scales.
- The OH Fireman Black Blade features a black-oxide coated main blade.
- In January 2010 some copies of the OH Fireman started appearing with a plain-edged main blade (OHF-PE), however the US model number for the knife remained the same (54868).
The Fireman has an interesting history !
It was one of the original slide-lock models, that was converted to be liner-locking in the early 2000s (tbc), yet retained the same name. Usually when Victorinox produced liner-lock and slide-lock models with equivalent toolsets, they had different names eg Forester / Rucksack etc. It was the first and only model to go through such a conversion, until 2017 when Victorinox ceased production of slide-lock 111mm models and revised the product line.
Also see notes on scales above.
The slide-lock model is relatively rare and it is possible it was exclusively a promotional model (premiums market) made specifically for Cryk Inc., a US company in the premiums marketing business.
The Fireman is an ancestor of the Rescue Tool, and both models were available for a few years. However the Fireman was retired in the late 2000s (tbc), presumably as there was too much overlap with the Rescue Tool’s functionality.
Weight: 149g / 155g (OH version)
- 0.8383 - Victorinox AN: Liner lock, red scales, regular plain edge main blade
- 0.8383.3 - Victorinox AN: Liner lock, black scales, regular plain edge main blade
- 54866 US Model: Liner lock, red scales, regular plain edge main blade
- 54865 US Model: Liner lock, black scales, regular plain edge main blade
- 54868 US Model: Liner lock, one handed model, serrated edge main blade (see variations, plain edge also)
- 54868 US Model: Liner lock, one handed, black-oxide coated main blade
- 54867 US Model: Slide Lock, black Nylon scales.
- Jumpmaster - Replaces the corkscrew with a Phillips screwdriver
- Rescue Tool - Several differences, a newer model designed by and for rescue workers
- Dual Pro - Newer model: Dual density scales, locking one-handed belt cutter blade (different design), OH blade, removes saw, toothpick, tweezers
- Forester - Removes the belt cutter blade
- Trekker - Serrated main blade, removes the belt cutter blade and corkscrew, adds a Phillips driver
- Fireman 108mm - A rare variation of the 108mm Hunter is also known as the Fireman.