It was one of the first landmark models in what was originally known as New Ranger series, featuring both folding pliers, and a standard ¼" bit-driver incorporated into the handles/frame of the knife. These are significant and unique Wenger tools that defined the 130mm Ranger Series.
The folding plier mechanism narrowed the gap between the original multi-tool (ie the Swiss Army Knife!) and the more recent plier-type multitools introduced by other manufacturers.
The New Ranger series of models featured a locking main blade employing a liner-lock mechanism.
Discontinued - But available as a Victorinox Delémont.
- Large 95mm drop-point blade - partially serrated with a liner-lock
- Folding pliers
- Cap-lifter with screwdriver
The flathead screwdriver features an automatic locking-system that locks the screwdriver open when pressure is applied.
Back Layer Tools
There is a hexagonal hole for the bit driver in the scale which also goes through several backsprings for support, one of the backsprings provides spring tension to keep the bit in place. The bit-driver accepts standard ¼" screwdriver bits. Two are supplied with this model - one small flat and one large Phillips.
Evolution contoured Nylon scales. These are most commonly available in black. Deep checkering is molded into the thumb area on both sides, for increased grip. One side carries the Wenger cross logo, along with WENGER molded into the scales. The cross logo is a push button, which, when depressed, releases the liner lock on the knife blade.
The original version of this model also includes a white printed mountains icon on the top scale which represents Touring.
Later available with RangerGrip scales.
Usually supplied with a Nylon belt pouch with external pockets for four screwdriver bits (two supplied).
- In 2008 this model was released as the official Patrouille de Glaciers knife and was only sold in Switzerland.
- A RangerGrip model with yellow & black scales without the mountain icon was also produced. This was marketed in Europe as the Handyman Pro.
Initially released as the Patrouille de Glaciers model. Later versions did not include the mountains icon on the scales.
- Length: 130mm/5"; Blade unfolded: 225mm (9"); Pliers unfolded: 178mm (7")
- Width: 30mm (1⅛")
- Weight: 227g (8oz)
- 1.77.174.00.02: Mountains icon on the scales (Patrouille des Glaciers Series logo)
- 1.077.174.822: Yellow & black RangerGrip scales
- Ranger 74 - A version without the bit-driver
130mm Ranger Models/Tools Comparison Matrix
- RangerGrip 174 - Victorinox Delémont version of this model