The Wenger SwissGrip (also known as the WengerGrip) is a large plier-type multitool based upon Wenger's 120mm series of models. It incorporates non-folding pliers with a large plier handle. Also included are two different options for driving ¼" hex bits.
The remaining blades and features of this model are typical of other 120mm Wenger Swiss Army Knife models.
The most prominent feature of the SwissGrip is the non-folding plier head. Combined with the large plier handle, the short, squared off, blunt nose jaws give a remarkably stout grip on objects. There are fine serrations near the tips, coarse serrations in the middle, and an anvil-type wire cutter near the pivot.
Located on either side of the plier handle:
Located under the plier handle:
- Metal file with saw
- Cap-lifter / Slotted screwdriver - with auto pressure-locking
- Fine technician’s screwdriver - with auto pressure-locking
Included with the SwissGrip is a hex bit adapter and three hex bits, (Ph2, Ph3, 6mm slotted), these could be stored in its pouch.
The adapter is designed to fit onto the end of the fine screwdriver blade, giving the user a driver with considerable reach.
For higher torque applications, the SwissGrip has a ¼” hex-driver hole/receptacle cut into the side of one handle, the internal springs hold the bit in place.
Handle scales are a diamond-textured plastic material in red or black. The Wenger Cross logo is on one side of the tool, with a flat area suitable for engraving on the other.
Originally introduced in 1996. It was listed on the Wenger website as the WengerGrip 76. A US catalogue page for the SwissGrip is here.
- There are at least four combinations/variations of the SwissGrip. Both red and black handle scales were available, and both were available with a Phillips screwdriver, or a corkscrew
- The black handled, Phillips version (1 76 02 02) was the SOSAK Knife of the Year in 2011
- 1 76 01 61: Red scales; Corkscrew; Regular box
- 1 76 01 02: Black scales; Corkscrew; Nylon pouch
- 1 76 51 02: Black scales; Corkscrew; Display box
- 1 76 02 02: Black scales; Phillips screwdriver
U.S. Model Numbers: All with black handles and a Phillips backspring screwdriver
- 16965: Supplied with a display box
- 16966: Supplied with a leather pouch
- 16967: Supplied with a Nylon pouch
For additional US numbers (other packaging options) see this catalogue page.