The 91mm SwissChamp was introduced in 1985, and has had only slight updates since then. Victorinox makes larger 91mm models, but the SwissChamp is the largest model that is practical to carry and can be used for a wide application area.
The 33 function SwissChamp pictured, consists of 64 individual parts.
The SwissChamp SuperTimer is a rarer model that includes an analog timepiece in the scales rather than the tweezers. It is the SwissChamp version of the more well known two-layer Time Keeper model.
The SuperTimer was also available with the SOS Kit packaging.
The SuperTimer model is discontinued.
- Large blade
- Small blade
- Metal file with saw
- Wood saw
- Magnifying glass
- Phillips screwdriver
- Fish Scaler
- Cap-lifter / Slotted screwdriver - with wire-bender
- Can-opener / Small slotted screwdriver - that also works with Phillips screws
Back Layer Tools
- Corkscrew with...
- Mini screwdriver - Eyeglass/jewelers screwdriver
- Reamer/Awl, with sewing-eye
- Wood chisel
- Fine screwdriver - Small slotted screwdriver
- Multipurpose hook - not included in the original version
- Removable pen
- Straight pin - not included in the original version
The SwissChamp SuperTimer removes the tweezers and adds the:
The SwissChamp is available with many different options for the scales, not just different Cellidor colours, but also different materials.
The specialty scale options such as hardwood, stag and mother of pearl, may, or may not, include the toothpick, tweezers and pen in the scales.
See the Identifiers section.
The SwissChamp replaced the earlier Champion in 1985 as the top model.
Since its introduction the SwissChamp has gone through many enhancements as the Victorinox tools evolved. These included:
- The earliest SwissChamp models having a narrower version of the pliers and a glass magnifying glass in a grey plastic surround
- Wider pliers (1988)
- Addition of the pin and multipurpose hook (1991)
- Clear plastic mag glass lens and surround (2004)
- Stainless steel version of the metal file with saw (2005)
- Glass mag glass lens in clear plastic surround (2013)
And several other upgrades to the tools particularly to the scissors!
For a full picture of 91mm tool evolution check this post from MultiTool.org. NB: Page through the thread to see the latest version of the table.
After the introduction of the SwissChamp, the Champion was still available, eventually evolving into the Champion Plus. It just did not have the same prominent position in marketing, although remains quite popular for those users who prefer a SAK without pliers.
- The 100th Anniversary (1897-1997) special edition version was released in 1997 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Officer's Knife. Each knife had a serial number (not limited) stamped on the liner behind the corkscrew. The blade was etched with the Victorinox logo and VICTORINOX in red, and also 100 years Swiss Army Knife. The knife was sold in a special metal tin with an embossed Evolution image that was also printed in silver on the top scale. A matching Spartan model was also released at the same time.
- Tiffany and Co. sells a special version of the SwissChamp with sterling silver scales with an inlaid 18K gold shield.
- The 500 Million SwissChamp limited edition (3401 pieces) was released in July 2017 to commemorate the production of 500 million Victorinox Swiss Army Knives. Victorinox gifted this model to all its employees. Each knife had a serial number (xxxx/3400) and the date 6.7.2017 stamped on the liner behind the corkscrew. The blade was etched with the lettering 500 MIO SWISS ARMY KNIVES. The front scale displays the Victorinox shield; a logo with a blacksmith doing his work; the first factory building of the Elsener family; the Kleiner Mythen and Grosser Mythen mountains above the town of Ibach in Switzerland; the Edelweiss flower. The back scale is decorated with a globe, the lettering 500 MIO and the phrase Thank you in all languages of the countries where Victorinox stores are located. The knives were packed in special gift boxes with a certificate included. The boxes were not marked with identifiers/model codes as they did not go through regular distribution trade channels. 100 of the 3401 pieces are claimed to be hand assembled by Mr. Elsener and bear special etching.
- The 2021 Damascus Limited Edition was a SwissChamp with carbon fibre scales.
Survival / SOS Kits
The SwissChamp has been available in a number of different packages over the years. Some of the more interesting ones are the SOS kits, which include a number of extra survival tools and accessories. The SOS Kits themselves came in a number of variations/options. For full details: See here.
- Length: 91mm
- Width: 33mm
- Weight: 185g - Cellidor scales; 200g - Stag scales (1.6791.66); 395g - Dual Pouch SOS kit (1.8816)
- 1.6795: Standard model - Red Plus scales
- 1.6791.xx: No toothpick, tweezers, pen, or straight pin; various scale materials/colors - .xx designation
- 1.6791.63: Wood scales (without tp/tw)
- 1.6791.66: Staghorn scales (without tp/tw)
- 1.6791.68: Mother-of-pearl scales (without tp/tw)
- 1.6791.J21: 2021 Damascus Limited Edition, carbon fibre scales
- 1.6794.xx: With toothpick, and tweezers; but no pen or straight pin, various scale materials/colors .xx designation
- 1.6794.J97: 100th anniversary edition
- 1.6794.T7: SilverTech scales, no pen
- 1.6795.7: White Plus scales
- 1.6795.69: Hardwood scales (with tp/tw)
- 1.6796: SuperTimer with red watch scales
- 1.6796.3: SuperTimer with black watch scales
US Model Numbers:
- 53501: Red Cellidor scales
- 53503: Black Cellidor scales
- 53506: Ruby red translucent scales
- 53507: Sapphire blue translucent scales
- 53511: Red Cellidor scales with SOS Pouch A
- 53513: Black Cellidor scales with SOS Pouch A
- 53520: Rosewood scales
- 53523: Horn scales
- 53524: Stag horn scales
- 53525: Mother-of-pearl scales
- 53526: Hardwood scales
- Champion - An ancestor: No pliers or hook; other tool variations depending upon the Champion version
- Champion Plus - No pliers
- SwissChamp XLT - Adds a spatula, electrician's blade, small pruner blade, and the bit driver
- SwissChamp XXLT - A very large fifteen-layer model: includes a butane gas lighter
- SwissChamp XAVT - A similar fifteen-layer model containing pretty much every tool you can have in a 91mm SAK, and more!
- Cybertool 41 - A large knife with a similar toolset to the SwissChamp: Losing the fish scaler and mag glass/Phillips layers; adding the bit driver
- Champ - A similar model made by Wenger
- SAAM's: Victorinox SwissChamp (1.6795) - Overview of the SwissChamp and its derivatives
- SAKcollector: Evolution of the SwissChamp - By C. C. Pixton and James Christian, May 10, 2008